The East End precinct was originally a self contained village existing for the East End fruit and vegetable markets and the people who worked in them from the 1860’s. Although the majority of traders were involved in the production and selling of produce, there were almost 294 other occupations carried out in the area including umbrella making, taxidermy, midwifery and letter carrying. In all other colonies, markets were the responsibility of the City Corporation. In Adelaide however, this was not the case. Both the first market, the East End Market, which began in the 1860’s, and the Adelaide Fruit and Produce Exchange opened nearby in 1903, were set up privately. The markets closed in 1988.